Monday, January 3, 2011

This is Where it Starts

For years I have intended (forgotten and procrastinated) to keep a proper record of my travels. After lost and stained pages, misplaced film rolls and the odd film strip that didn’t come out as I had hoped, I have decided, though still reluctantly, to go digital.

I am a stubborn dinosaur in the wrong generation.

Perfect timing, because this is the destination I have been wanting to reach longer than any other: India.

It’s been three weeks since I have left home (1st day with proper internet connection), and I feel oddly at ease in downtown Bombay. I think I skipped the culture shock, but maybe it’ll find me further down the road, in another capacity. Perhaps it has to do with the immediate distraction of school, since I had to attend class the day after getting in and my peers were already three weeks into semester.

Anyway, dearest reader, I feel there is an unfortunate, awkward gap without all of my first impressions of this place. I can’t bring myself to attempt to recreate them, or type out of my journal because it sounds far too contrived, and I don’t particularly enjoy typing (see aforementioned dinosaur comparison). You’ll simply have to make due.

1 comment: