On Sunday morning I went down to Saki Naka Slum to join many other volunteers for a day of painting the walls of a newly developed garden—one of many projects by Janvi Trust and Dirty Wall Project.
Although I have visited this slum once before, I am sure no one recognized me as I ran down the steps and began to walk down the pipeline. Regardless, I was welcomed with a dozen smiles, and children yelling, “hi teacher.” Once I stepped into the garden, a bunch of young girls were already greeting me, dancing, and asking me a bunch of questions—very few of which were in English. But, as per usual, we managed in the language of smiles, hand gestures, and silliness.
It took no time at all for me to get distracted from the painting, the whole point of the day, and the girls and I danced, held races, and wandered around with them hanging off me, they were adorably affectionate. A few of them also insisted on me visiting their homes, which was often a single room shared by parents and 4-5 siblings, and meeting their parents. Their families were courteous, beautiful, and in typical Indian fashion, insisted on feeding me (which, I of course don’t have a problem with).
At their homes, I met some of the children’s older siblings, who were from about 14-16, and did speak some English. They asked me questions about where I’m from, how I like India, and we shared hopes of seeing each other again soon. Shortly after, we returned to the garden to paint with the other volunteers. Many of the volunteers were talented artists, and not being much of a visual artist myself, I decided to put my time into encouraging the kids to paint. I drew a rabbit for some kids to paint, only to return to and find it green, orange and unrecognizable, at which we laughed.
It took no time at all for me to get distracted from the painting, the whole point of the day, and the girls and I danced, held races, and wandered around with them hanging off me, they were adorably affectionate. A few of them also insisted on me visiting their homes, which was often a single room shared by parents and 4-5 siblings, and meeting their parents. Their families were courteous, beautiful, and in typical Indian fashion, insisted on feeding me (which, I of course don’t have a problem with).
At their homes, I met some of the children’s older siblings, who were from about 14-16, and did speak some English. They asked me questions about where I’m from, how I like India, and we shared hopes of seeing each other again soon. Shortly after, we returned to the garden to paint with the other volunteers. Many of the volunteers were talented artists, and not being much of a visual artist myself, I decided to put my time into encouraging the kids to paint. I drew a rabbit for some kids to paint, only to return to and find it green, orange and unrecognizable, at which we laughed.
The day was fun, successful, and beautiful.
| Boomi took the day quite seriously. |
Rookie Mistake: Forgot to charge my camera the night before, and my battery held through for about 10 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment