Languages have never been my strong suit. After having spent some of my
childhood in the Middle East, my Arabic was far better than my English when I was young.
Almost 20 years later, it's enough to make my relatives laugh.
Good thing I'm starting formal Spanish lessons tomorrow...
My French is not much better. It's enough to get a
furrowed brow and a stereotypically Parisian pretentious, "so you speak
English, right?"
After about a week of catching
myself saying "oui" instead of "si," my Spanish is finally coming
along. But not without at least a few hiccups first.
Like the other day when I went to a nearby shop in
need of new clothes. (Turns out my sister was justified when
she threw up her arms and said "are you even a woman?" when she had to
convince me to take a second suitcase for my nine month stay in
Ecuador.)
Generally speaking, I am fine with conducting day to day tasks in Spanish. Generally speaking, I know how to conjugate verbs.
Generally speaking, I am fine with conducting day to day tasks in Spanish. Generally speaking, I know how to conjugate verbs.
But when I stepped out of the change room, in need
of another size, and turned to a woman who looked like she might have
worked there and said "trabajo aqui?" (instead of "trabajas acqui?") she
and my friend snickered.
"What?"
"You just asked her if you work here."
Or
like the time I stepped into the kitchen to grab a glass of water while
the cook was making lunch and I told her it smells delicious and
intended to say "yo tengo hambre" ("I'm hungry" or literally "I have
hunger.") Instead, I said "yo tengo hombre": I have man.
Haha... great anecdotes! You're taking so many wonderful sounding classes. You've got to write about dancing next! And food! :)
ReplyDeletemore updates!
ReplyDelete