Thursday, March 3, 2011

Accents and Adjustments

At the beginning of the semester, I switched out of one of my History classes because it was conflicting with another one of my lectures. In a way, it was a relief. Although said History professor was very kind, and (I think) very intelligent, I must admit, I couldn't understand most of what she was saying. 

While I obviously know that I also have an accent, until a few weeks ago, I ignorantly overlooked the fact that Indians probably struggle just as much to figure out what the heck I am talking about.
This first occured to me when I was telling a friend a story while we were out to dinner. Once my anecdote was completed I looked for a response, and over delicious looking dinner plates, I was met with a pair of blank eyes.

"What the hell did you just say?"

Granted, the eight year old in me sometimes talks quite rapidly when I am excited, but this I did not expect.

"You can't understand what I'm saying?"

"Sometimes your Canadian accent sounds British and I don't know what you're talking about."

I laughed--completely incredulous to the fact that he thought I sounded English. (Though I have since been asked a couple of times if I am.)

The second instance which brought my accent to my attention, was less funny. Because under the stress of a story deadline, I wrongfully allowed myself to get frustrated. After returning to the office to file a story I had just covered, I realized that I did not have my camera cable on me and couldn't upload my photographs. Figuring there must be a computer or the product needed somewhere in the office that would allow me to upload my photos straight from my memory card, I called IT support.

"Hi there, I'm calling from the City Desk hoping you could send someone up to help me transfer some photos from my camera to my computer."

"Uhhh, what Ma'am?"

"I just need some help transferring some files, could you please send someone to help me?"

"I'm sorry Ma'am, I cannot read you."

"Please send computer help!"

"Ma'am, I do not know what you are saying."

"O.K! Thanks! Bye!"

While finding the situation hilarious, my kind colleague called the office for me and made the request in Hindi. I shouldn't have been frustrated, since I realize it is rather ridiculous that I write for a paper, that is although in the English language, ultimately an Indian paper, without speaking the national language. Now, I find the situation pretty funny.

A third instance that reminded me of how different my accent really is, came during an interview for a story last night. Perhaps thinking, as many do, that I look Indian, the man questioningly said. "You have a very thick American accent."

"I'm Canadian."

"Oh really? I haven't heard you say 'eh' once"   (Take that, Mom!)

"I'm on my best behaviour."

No comments:

Post a Comment