When my friend Kane invited me to come down to Saki Naka slum for a movie event put on for the kids, only one of many incredible initiatives made possible by his charity the Dirty Wall Project (www.dirtywallproject.com), I immediately said yes, and had no idea what that would entail.
I like to believe I am pretty well read and informed, but I also know that the television I see or the papers I read about slums will invariably have a Western standpoint, that is rather distanced from the real thing. So I walked into it thinking nothing at all, without any reservations, and left the camera at the flat. I love taking portraits, and I thought, and did, meet some beautiful children and kind people. But I didn't want to be meeting people through a lens, and I was worried it would give the wrong impression: like I was a foreigner who was treating the place like just another museum.
I would never suggest that the people in these communities do not have incredible struggles, nor that they do not suffer from shortages of things that most of us deem necessary, but at the same time I can honestly say that I think this was the warmest community I have ever walked into in my life.
Prior to the film screening, a Hindi translation of a Shark's Tale (which I bizarrely feel like I understood. Maybe kids' movies only need the pictures for the story), pop songs, both Western and Indian pounded through the speakers. The kids danced for so long, only taking breaks to get in line for cotton candy and popcorn. It became clear how truly inexhaustible they are when a group of adorable girls swarmed and pulled me onto the dance floor, and never stopped dancing. Maybe it was because I didn't have the sugar high, but I sneaked away after just a couple of songs. Side note: those kids were also some of the best dancers I have ever seen at that age.
Through the charity, much of the space has been completely revamped, and contains a lovely garden-where the film was screened- a great school, and a lot of open space to be transformed into gardens and playing areas for the kids. It's a truly touching place, and I think I spent the whole evening smiling. I hope to go back.
At the same time of course, most slums do not look like this. I do not doubt, however, that a great deal of them probably have a similar strong sense of community.
I leave you with a couple of shots from my walk around downtown before dinner. Perfect time for golden hour!

I like to believe I am pretty well read and informed, but I also know that the television I see or the papers I read about slums will invariably have a Western standpoint, that is rather distanced from the real thing. So I walked into it thinking nothing at all, without any reservations, and left the camera at the flat. I love taking portraits, and I thought, and did, meet some beautiful children and kind people. But I didn't want to be meeting people through a lens, and I was worried it would give the wrong impression: like I was a foreigner who was treating the place like just another museum.
I would never suggest that the people in these communities do not have incredible struggles, nor that they do not suffer from shortages of things that most of us deem necessary, but at the same time I can honestly say that I think this was the warmest community I have ever walked into in my life.
Prior to the film screening, a Hindi translation of a Shark's Tale (which I bizarrely feel like I understood. Maybe kids' movies only need the pictures for the story), pop songs, both Western and Indian pounded through the speakers. The kids danced for so long, only taking breaks to get in line for cotton candy and popcorn. It became clear how truly inexhaustible they are when a group of adorable girls swarmed and pulled me onto the dance floor, and never stopped dancing. Maybe it was because I didn't have the sugar high, but I sneaked away after just a couple of songs. Side note: those kids were also some of the best dancers I have ever seen at that age.
Through the charity, much of the space has been completely revamped, and contains a lovely garden-where the film was screened- a great school, and a lot of open space to be transformed into gardens and playing areas for the kids. It's a truly touching place, and I think I spent the whole evening smiling. I hope to go back.
At the same time of course, most slums do not look like this. I do not doubt, however, that a great deal of them probably have a similar strong sense of community.
I leave you with a couple of shots from my walk around downtown before dinner. Perfect time for golden hour!
It seems like most people, who are not traveling by cab or public transport, get around by motorcycles or scooters. I thought rear-view mirrors provided an interesting perspective on the city. I found these bikes in different places downtown and they provided a great angle to view some of Bombay's gorgeous architecture. Although you cannot necessarily notice it here, the architecture isn't terribly well preserved, but I find something about even the deterioration of them beautiful.
I find this sign, and the ones that followed it in both Hindi and English rather ironic; since, I feel like I risk my life every time I cross the street.
No comments:
Post a Comment